Thursday, January 16, 2014

La Semana Uno


So it's been a week since I last posted, and what a week it has been.

Last Friday I started my weekend in traditional Shannon style, shopping. Grand Via is known for it's cute boutiques, high class stores, and chain department stores; there is literally a shop for everyone. Surprisingly, I didn't buy anything but I it's always fun to look and I still have four months to go back. We then went to El Tigre for lunch, which is a tapas bar that I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Madrid. You pay for your drink, which in my case was Sangria, and you get unlimited tapas of all varieties. Following lunch, we went to the Catedral de Palacio Real which is the old Cathedral of the Royal Family, it is absolutely beautiful.

Saturday, we grabbed lunch at a local place and ate outside since it was an absolutely beautiful day. I finally tried chorizo a Spanish sausage and I was quiet impressed. We then spent the afternoon exploring El Museo del Prado, we got through about half of the museum and saw some pretty remarkable pieces. Then on Sunday morning we woke up early to El Rastro, a huge outdoor flea market spanning multiple blocks. There are local vendors selling everything from clothes, jerseys, and bags to antiques and collectibles, to even live chickens. This weekend I just looked, but I plan to return again probably more than once and will eventually fins something up my ally. We continued to explore the areas around the market, Sol, and Plaza Mayor during the day. Then that afternoon we made our way over to El Estadio Santiago Bernabéu, the Real Madrid Soccer stadium, it's about a ten minute walk from our flats. It is massive to say the least, I have done my research and learned the most important thing about the team which is that a good portion of the team are above my height and good amount of them are near my age. 

Following the weekend I began school, since technically it is a STUDY abroad. I'm currently tking four classes and considering adding one more. I have a design class taught by one of the founders of the Barcelona Center for Design, a class on the contemporary politics and government of Spain, Managment, and ITM. The week started out well with chocolate and churros after my first day of classes, and then a visit to La Reina Sofia (which requires a return visit as I did not see the famous Picasso housed within). But then it took a slight turn for the worse when lucky me got strep throat, luckily the doctor here is super nice and with antibiotics I should be back to 100% soon!


Keep an eye out for a new post or two soon as I visit Salamanca and Segovia this Friday and Sunday respectively. Both are towns in Northern Madrid and have a lot of really neat sights and great history.



La Reina Sofia

Chocolate and Churros at Audrey's

Prado

Royal Catherdral

Royal Cathedral

Real Madrid Stadium

No comments:

Post a Comment